Saturday, April 7, 2007

North Plains to NW Portland and back...in the rain

Another rainy day today. The Weather guessers on TV were calling for sunny and warm, low 70s, but at 11PM last night, they all changed their minds and we woke at 6:00AM to a steady rain. It was relatively warm, so we didn't have to layer up, but we were soaked within the first 3 miles...with 43 left to go!

We did a very similar route 5 weeks ago from NW Portland to Beaverton and then back -- this time we reversed it and added 10 miles.

The best part about today's ride was how well we did...despite the rain. On both of our climbs, I didn't have to stop and get off the bike, not once. My average pace on the climb us Springville Rd. was between 1 and 1.5 MPH faster than it was last time we climbed this hill. I was ecstatic.

As we got to NW Portland, about halfway through out ride, I got a flat. As we pulled over to fix it, Sean's tire was also leaking, so, after 2 tire changes, we were off. Back up through the Rose Garden, past the Oregon Zoo and the Arboretum and back up to Skyline. Again, 5 weeks ago, I struggled up these hills. I wouldn't say it was easy today, but I didn't have to stop and rest.

The downhill section would have been fantastic, but the driving rain made it a bit treacherous, so we didn't reach the speeds we generally do.

All in all, even though we were completely soaked and covered with road grime and dirt from head to toe, we did better today than on any past ride.

I'm not sore (anywhere) and though I will sleep very soundly tonight, I didn't need to take a nap today. I'm starting to get very excited about our ride, and love getting on my bike a couple times a week. I'm even starting to think I may look good in spandex...is that wrong?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is it with you guys riding in the rain? Looking good in Spandex...wow...that is impressive. Not too many people can claim that.