Sunday, April 29, 2007

Monster Cookie Ride - 65 Mile Success!

Pace Line (from back: Christa, Melvin, Jay, Sean & Sally)


This week's team ride was an organized event by the Salem Bicycle Club, called the Monster Cookie Ride. Salem (for those of you who don't know), is Oregon's capital and smack dab in the heart of the Willamette Valley...translation = VERY FLAT!!

There were really no hills to speak of. There was a lot of wind, so a lot of people formed pacelines to help cut through the wind. Sean rode with the guys at a pace that I could not maintain for the first 30 miles, and I formed a paceline with 2 other riders, one was my mentor, the other was just another guy out on the course.

The second half of the course went even faster. Again, I couldn't sustain the speed, but once the group dropped it from 21 mph to 19 mph, I was able to hang on and take my turns at the front.

The sun was out in full blazing glory. We actually have tans on our arms now. At the end of the ride, they gave everyone a monster cookie. The cookies weren't so good, but the riding was spectacular.

No comments: