Saturday, June 14, 2008

Blue Lake Triathlon

My number

My Age

Woo Hoo! I did a triathlon. What a great morning. This was a warm up for the Pac Crest coming up in 2 weeks, and Joni and I did great.

We did a Tri-It Sprint Distance. That means we swam a 1/4 mile, biked 12 miles, and ran 3.2 miles. (A regular sprint triathlon has a 1/2 mile swim).

We were the last heat into the water, but ended up passing most of the men in the heat before us :) during the swim...it was great to pass all the orange swim caps of the men in the Tri-it group and realize that I was in front of most of the pink swim caps of the other women in my group. My confidence in swimming definitely increased out on the water today, and I wasn't nearly as freaked out by swimming in the dark pond water as I was on Thursday in our practice swim.

The swim was quick, and then we were out of the water and running through the transition area to get our wetsuits off and our helmets and bike shoes on. Then, we were off again. This time running with our bikes to the start of the bike section. 6 miles out on Marine Drive, it was fast and flat and we average 18.5 miles (AWESOME). We passed A LOT of people on the bike ride.

We hit a bit of a head wind between miles 3 and 6, but then on the way back, we had the tailwind and sailed back to the Park...and back to the transition area.

We took off the bike shoes and helmet, slipped on the sneakers and were off again for the last leg of the event...the run.

Wow! Did our legs feel like they had bricks attached to our shoes! Luckily we have done some "Brick" workouts and were ready for that feeling. Going from the bike to the run is a very hard thing and your body takes some time to adjust. Joni adjusted much quicker than I did, but finally I got into the rhythm of the run and the last 1.5 miles were great.

Our wonderful friend Rebecca rode her bike down to the park. We saw her in between the bike and run section and she was able to get the pictures of us crossing the finish line. (except for the darn guy in front of us)

The Finish Line


I can't wait for the Pacific Crest Triathlon. I am totally prepared and ready to tackle this challenge. We'll see how I feel afterward, but maybe I am up for a Half Ironman next year...



2 Happy Racers

1 comment:

DebbPDX said...

You women are AWESOME!!!!! I'm so impressed!