Monday, June 30, 2008

Pac Crest Olympic Triathlon...HOT!

The weekend was hot. Very hot. Apparently summer is finally here and it arrived this weekend with a vengeance. The temperature in Sunriver Sunday the day of my Triathlon was a cool 102 degrees.

We started out at 6:30 Sunday morning by setting up our Bike to Run transition at Three Rivers Elementary School. Then we hopped on a bus to travel 30 miles to Wickiup Resevoir. For weeks we have been fretting over what the water temperature might be. There was still snow around the lake just 3 weeks ago, but as the air temperature started to climb over the last few weeks, so did the water temperature and we were lucky to swim in 64 degree water. Very comfortable with a wet suit.

My heat started at 9:10 am. I stayed toward the back as there were so many people and many of these people are hard-core triathletes. But, I held my own in the water. I was far from first, but I was not last.

40 minutes later, I ran (at least it felt like I was running) up the boat ramp to my bike. I stripped off my wetsuit, dried my feet, put on my socks, shoes, helmet and gloves and was off to the bike ride.

The race guide listed the bike ride this way "The first 12 miles are flat. At mile 12 there is a 3/4 mile climb with a total of 400 ft in elevation gain. The rest of the course is downhill..." NOT! The first 12 miles were rolling hills. Many of the downhills were steep enough that my momentum could carry me up the next hill, but it was still a workout. The 3/4 mile climb was actually 4 miles long, and while not extremely steep...as the temperature crested 90 degrees, it was hot (I found out later that the race book showed the hill as "3/4 mile" instead of "3-4 miles"...that's a slight difference).


But overall, the ride was great, and relatively easy. This is where I started making up some time. I finished the 28 mile bike ride in 1 hour and 38 minutes. As I rode up to the transition from the Bike to Run in Sunriver, there were 2 guys beating on drums and everyone was cheering. I saw Sean and Corbin as soon as I got off my bike and Sean snapped this photo.


Bonus -- for those of you who are fans of the TV show Lost, apparently Dr. Jack Shepard (Matthew Fox) was also there. Why Sean didn't take a picture I don't know...but he was cheering people on as they came into the transition area. Unfortunately, I didn't see him since he was on the left and the transition area was on the right. Although, if I had seen him...I may have fallen off my bike :)

So, into the bike to run transition. Less than 2 minutes and I was off and running...then walking...then running...then walking. Oh, this was a miserable run. It was now over 100 degrees, and there was very little shade on the course. It was so hot, I could hear the race organizers pleading with the volunteers on the course to stick with it and not quit their stations. I was drinking enough water to stay hydrated, but for some reason, my heart rate kept spiking way too high. I ran as much as I could, but I walked more.


Then I turned a corner (literally, not figuratively) and realized that the finish was just ahead. I was running at this point and I kept going. There were so many people cheering us on, calling out our numbers and shouting encouragement. The path curved again and there was the finish line. I made it!


It wasn't pretty. It will probably (hopefully) be the worst time I ever get on an Olympic Distance triathlon as I don't plan to ever do one in 100 degree heat again. But, I do plan to do this again. I am going to do a couple of the short ones this summer and maybe another Olympic distance at the end of the summer and see if I do better.












Triathlons are a huge challenge and the training and physical challenge are only part of the battle. Keeping yourself moving in the water when people are swimming over you and splashing water in your face. Riding that flat stretch of road into a headwind wondering if you have a flat tire, only to realize the road isn't really flat, it's slightly uphill (that's called a false flat...I hate those). Or forcing yourself to keep going even though you are hot and your legs are cramping and you can't run any faster than you can walk. It's a huge mental challenge. But I am so glad I did it. Afterward, other than being a bit sunburned and hot...I actually felt fantastic.

My total time was 3 hours 53 minutes...about 40 minutes slower than I thought I would be...but that just means I have room for improvement.

No comments: